Brooklyn gang member released without bail in May attempted murder case participated in three drive-by shootings in July: feds
A Brooklyn gang member released without bail on an attempted murder charge in May took part in three more shootings after he was sprung when a witness recanted, according to Brooklyn federal prosecutors.
Darrius Sutton, 23, was hauled into court months ago for a May 16 shooting, during which he allegedly shot another man in the courtyard of an East New York building, seriously injuring the victim, according to the feds. Despite charges of attempted murder, criminal possession of a weapon and assault with intent to cause injury, Sutton was released in the state case without bail set, according to court documents.
“At the time of arraignment the sole eyewitness had recanted so we did not have sufficient evidence to keep the defendant in custody. The investigation is continuing and we hope other witnesses come forward,” said a spokesman for the Brooklyn District Attorney.
But federal prosecutors say that Sutton — who they claim is a member of the Gorilla Stone subset of the Bloods — is responsible for several other shootings in Brooklyn over the past year that have injured seven, including a macabre April attack in which he allegedly snuck up behind a rival gang member and shot the unsuspecting man three times in the back, nearly killing him.
“As the video of the shooting and the photographs … make clear, it was entirely fortuitous that the defendant was unsuccessful in his attempt to murder the victim,” prosecutors wrote in a filing last Wednesday, the same day Sutton was arrested by federal agents.
He is now in federal custody at Brooklyn Metropolitan Detention Center after a magistrate judge ordered him held last week.
The feds have charged Sutton as a felon in possession of a weapon for the April 20 shooting. He faces up to 10 years in prison in the case.
Besides the April shooting, Sutton is believed to have taken part in five others since August 2019, including the May attempted murder, according to federal prosecutors.
He appeared in the music video for a rap song titled “Crime Rate” by a Brooklyn rapper called BK Eaz about how their gang was “boosting the crime rate” in New York City, the feds say. The song opens with a TV reporter speaking about a surge in crime in 2020.
“The song features lyrics intended to threaten rival gangs,” prosecutors claimed in their memo asking for Sutton’s pre-trial detention.
Two minutes into the song, one of the rappers refers to Sutton, prosecutors allege, when he says, “Meecho say get him, I got him.”
Sutton goes by the alias “Blizz Meecho,” the feds allege.
After getting released without bail in the May shooting, Sutton took part in a series of drive-by shootings on July 13 and 14, the feds said. Sutton’s fingerprints were lifted from the door of one of the cars used in the crimes and he was also caught on surveillance footage firing a weapon in one of the incidents, prosecutors said.
Sutton’s lawyer declined to comment on the federal case.
Sutton also spent two years in prison after pleading guilty to assaulting a woman and breaking her teeth in 2014. The feds also claim that based on review of Sutton’s Facebook activity, they were able to determine that he was physically abusing his current girlfriend.
“The defendant’s violent spree over the last year has left at least seven individuals with gunshot wounds,” federal prosecutors wrote. “The defendant is extraordinarily violent by any measure and he has shown total disregard for the lives of others.”